|MEDITERRANEAN||UP TO 30 MINUTES|
I first saw a master class on cooking scallops in prosciutto in London, at the chefs’ academy. Our chef, an Italian named Nikko, showed the students how his mother cooks scallops.
He used a lot of butter and tilted the pan all the time so that the butter dripped to the edge, and he scooped up the butter with a large spoon and poured it over the scallops.
A lot of noise and a lot of smoke – this is how scallops should be cooked. Repeating this at home, I had to ventilate the apartment for a long time, but it turned out very tasty!
|Scallops||150 – 200 g|
|Butter||20 – 30 g|
|Prosciutto||One for each scallop|
|Sprig of fresh rosemary||1 pc.|
|Salt/Black pepper||Add to taste|
Here you need to act quickly, work on high heat and not leave the pan. The scallops are very tender and can be easily overcooked. But in the case of this recipe, they need to be cooked a little longer than usual, as they are wrapped in layers of prosciutto.
- Wrap the scallops in one layer of prosciutto. Make sure the layers are the same, otherwise the cooking time will be different. Spice a little.
- Heat the butter in a skillet. You need a heat high enough to cook the scallops immediately. Add a clove of garlic (you can use unpeeled) and a fresh sprig of rosemary into the oil.
- While browning, tilt the pan and drizzle the scallops in the prosciutto with melted butter until they are constantly soaked in the garlic and rosemary oil. In addition, it will speed up their preparation.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Perhaps a little longer. Cooking time depends on many factors – the quality of your pan, the heat, the size of the scallops and the thickness of the prosciutto. But keep in mind that in the case of scallops, it is better to underexpose than overexpose.
- When serving, sprinkle with lemon juice.
Gourmets eat scallops generally raw. When I worked in the kitchen of a restaurant and out of inexperience steamed a scallop, cutting it off the sink (it could break out where it was not needed and was automatically considered a marriage), then my boss, the sous-chef, immediately ate it. Raw.
So an overcooked scallop is a much bigger crime than an undercooked scallop. You can serve these scallops in a salad or with asparagus, or with mashed potatoes as a side dish. Parsnip puree is ideal.
P.S. The scallops must not be reheated. You need to eat them instantly. After 15 – 20 minutes the taste is not the same. Therefore, I am always amazed when I see scallops in banquet menus, where food delivery and table service takes place at completely different time intervals than restaurant table service.
But many chefs do include scallops in their banquet menus. Apparently believing that the guests do not particularly know the taste of fresh scallop.
On the photos the scallops in prosciutto look a little “dirty” – this is due to the herbs that are slightly burnt in the pan. They do not add much flavor, so you can do without them. Here, the main taste comes from salty prosciutto, butter and lemon juice, which should be poured over the scallops before serving (or simply put a lemon wedge on a plate).