medium handful of sweet and sour dried apricots
6-8 medium green apples
juice and zest of 1 large lemon
2/3–3/4 cups brown sugar
a pinch of salt
100 ml bottled water
2 cups peeled unsalted pistachios
1. Soak dried apricots in warm water for 15–20 minutes.
2. For the nut butter, boil a syrup with 2/3 cup sugar and bottled water; bring to a boil together and cook for 5 minutes over low heat. Remove syrup from heat and cool completely, 30 minutes.
3. Pour pistachios with cold water, bring to a boil and cool slightly. Then peel off the skin by rubbing it with your fingers so that the nut slips out of it.
4. Put the peeled pistachios in a blender, pour over the cooled syrup, add salt and chop until puree. Even if it doesn’t work out very well, try not to add more water – a couple of tablespoons maximum. Place the pistachio oil in a cool place.
5. Cut the apples in half lengthwise, carefully remove the core. Rub the lemon juice over the cut. Chop dried apricots, mix with the remaining juice and lemon zest.
6. Stuff the apples with dried apricots, place in a small heat-resistant baking dish, pour in 150 ml of water and place in an oven preheated to 180°C. Bake the apples until soft, about 30 minutes.
7. Serve the apples warm or chilled with cool pistachio butter.